Treatment Options for Hip Pain
If chronic hip pain and discomfort are taking you away from your daily tasks and impacting your quality of life, it’s time to see your doctor.
Your first step towards better movement requires comprehensive care and a care team that will see you through your journey from consult to treatment to rehabilitation. Our wide-range of care options, services and support resources ensure that you will get the best treatment plan personalized for you. Our board-certified team of doctors, compassionate nurses and advanced health practitioners, physical therapists and nutritionists can help get you back to doing the things you love.
Nonsurgical hip pain treatment
Surgery is often not the first option for treating hip pain, and many patients can manage their pain without invasive treatment. Depending on your diagnosis, changes to your lifestyle may be the best option for you. Every patient is different, and your care team will design a treatment plan to fit your needs that could include:
- Activity modifications: If certain exercises are causing your hip pain to flare up, our doctors and physical therapists can create a personalized, low-impact exercise routine to help avoid discomfort while keeping you active.
- Physical therapy: Physical therapy is a common treatment option for hip pain. Our physical therapists work with you to create a custom therapy plan based on your daily routine and mobility needs to reduce hip pain.
- Alternative medicine: In some cases, alternative medicine treatments, like chiropractic medicine, acupuncture or osteopathic manipulative medicine may be an appropriate option to treat your hip pain.
- Canes, walkers and other assistive devices: Our specialists will work with you to identify assistive devices such as braces, sleeves and canes to help take pressure off your hip.
- Weight loss: To relieve pressure on your hip joint, we may recommend weight loss. NorthBay nutritionists are available to help establish a program that fits your specific dietary needs and goals.
- Medicine: Over-the-counter prescription medications and some supplements may help manage your pain. Our team can guide you through selecting the best medication options for you.
- Injections: Steroid shots and lubricating injections (viscosupplementation) can help increase mobility and reduce hip pain.
We often recommend a combination of treatments to offer personalized and effective care that is customized to you and your health goals.
Surgical hip pain treatment
If nonsurgical options are not managing your pain or you have extensive damage to your hip, we may recommend joint replacement surgery.
Your care team will be with you from scheduling to rehabilitation, and when possible, we will get you home the same day as your surgery so that you can start your recovery comfortably at home.